Hello Friends, There are several best places to visit in Kodaikanal. In this post, You can get more details about the places to visit in Kodaikanal.
- Kodaikanal one of the most popular tourist place in Tamil Nadu.
- Tourist places are nice to watch and Kodaikanal also referred as the “Princess of Hill Stations”.
- The meaning to Kodaikanal is “The Gift of the Forest” in Tamil Language.
- Famous places to visit in Kodaikanal are kodai lake, Guna cave, Pillar Rocks, Bryant Park etc..,.
- Kodaikanal is also nice place to go for honeymoon.
History of Kodaikanal
Kodaikanal is a city in the palani hills of the Dindigul district in the state of Tamil Nadu, India.
This place is the only Hill Station in India developed by the Americans. During 1821, Lieutenant B. S. Ward, a British surveyor was, the first European to visit Kodaikanal.
Lieutenant B. S. Ward was on the lookout for a healthy place to live, for the foreign missionaries working in Madurai and the surrounding areas to escape from the summer heat and epidemics.
Places to visit in Kodaikanal are
- Kodai lake
- Bryant Park
- Berijam Lake
- Pine forests
- Green Valley View (Suicide Point)
- Pillar rocks
- Coakers Walk
- Devil’s Kitchen – Guna caves
- Vattakanal Falls
- Dolphin’s Nose
- Moir Point
- Silver Cascade Falls
- Kodaikanal Solar Observatory
- Upper Lake View
- La saleth Church
- When we think about the kodaikanal the first thing come to our mind is kodai lake or kodaikanal lake.
- This lake name is come from this places.
- We can reach kodaikanal by two ways.
- One is from the palani town and bus transport also available from the palani bus stand.
- Another ways is by kodai road.
- You can reach the kodai road by train from their you can take call-taxi or bus.
- Sir Vere Henry Levinge collector of madurai want to settle in kodaikanal after his retirement.
- In the year 1863 the henry levinge created the lake with the help of missionaries from USA.
- He also buy the boat from tuticorin for boating on this lake.
There are lot of entertainment thing in this lake such us boating, cycling, horse riding and much more.
For shopping also this place is best. There are lot of shop near to the lake. Where you can buy the statues, ornament, herbal product, cloths, Artifacts etc..,
Tibetan shops also here where you can buy the handmade artifacts, gifts, warn dress etc..,
- Berijam Lake is must visit place in kodaikanal.
- To visit this berijam lake you need to get approval from the forest department before you arrive.
- The berijam lake is located 21 kms from the kodaikanal town.
- The tourist will be granted from 9 am to 3.30 pm.
- The two wheeler are not allowed here only four wheeler allowed because animals crossing is their.
- If you’re lucky you can view the animals during the travel to the berijam lake.
- Berijam lake is best place to visit in kodaikanal.
Pillar rocks one of the main tourist attraction in kodaikanal. Good and lovely picnic spot. Best place for taking photos.
You can see the two massive pillar rocks, nature beauty, cloud and mist in this places. The Pillar rocks is one of must visit place in kodaikanal.
When British People visit this place during British rule there was some smoke coming inside the caves so they thing some evil power is cooling. So they called this place as Devils Kitchen.
Many people have lost their lives in this cave. Because of that Tamil Nadu Government ban the tourist to visit this place. Rope fence is set 100 feet before the cave starts.
During rainy season you need to more careful in this places.
Bryant park is very popular tourist attraction in kodaikanal. This park is near to the kodai lake and also best picnic spot for tourist.
The tourist can see the different variety of flowers and big trees which bring you close to nature.
Coakers walk is a man made walking area build on mountain. This coakers walk constructed on 1872 by lieutenant coaker.
This place is half a kilometer from kodai lake. The tourist people can spend one to two hours here. Beautiful places to view wonderful green valley and hills view.
Tourist can also take photos and view mist. This place is one of must visit place in kodaikanal. Coakers walk is best place to visit in kodaikanal.
Upper Lake View
Upper lake view is one of the tourist place in kodaikanal. From this place you can view the Kodaikanal lake in the India map space.
This Upper lake view is in upper lake road. There are few shops also available here.
You can buy some snacks, toys, wooden handcraft thing etc..,
You can also see beautiful flower in the upper lake view point. Photo shooting shop are here.
Green Valley View (Suicide Point)
Green Valley View or Suicide Point is one of the tourist place in kodaikanal. Now tourist people are not allowed to visit this place.
Because many people are fall by mistake during taking selfie. So forest department didn’t allow here. You can view this valley from other place.
One of the Important tourist place in kodaikanal is Moir point. This is monument build for Sir Thomas Moir. From this place only you can reach berijam lake. To travel in this road you need to get forest department permission.
In moir point you can view the valley, mist etc..,. From this place you can also see the vaigai dam view in Madurai.
You can spend nearly 1 to 2 hours here. Entry fees for this Moir point is 10 Rs.
During British Rule they can reach munnar from kodaikanal by this way. Munnar is 86 km from this ways. Only Road available up to berijam lake that is near 36 Km after that restricted forest area. No one can use this except forest department.
Pine forest is another place where you can enjoy. In this place you can see the many pine trees. You can take photos and also go horse riding.
For horse riding they will charge 50 to 100 Rs for 1 round during season. This may vary in off season time.
You need to careful in this place because they are more leech and also you can see monkey this place.
Silver Cascade Falls
You can see this place on your travel to kodaikanal. In your long travel to kodaikanal you can spend some time to get relax and view the water falls also buy some snacks in this place.
You can take photos of waterfalls. Water overflow from the kodai lake is coming to sliver cascade falls. No entry fees for this falls.
La Saleth Church
To know more about this place Click here: La saleth church
Kodaikanal Solar Observatory
For more Tourist Places click here
To view the Hotels and Resort in Kodaikanal click here