Kodai lake is a man made lake and also best place where you can spend more time with your family members.
- One of the important tourist place in Tamilnadu.
- Lies in the Palani hills range.
- First thing come to our mind is kodai lake or kodaikanal lake.
- This lake name is come from this places.
- From the palani town
- Kodaikanal is 65 km away.
- You can reach by car or bike.
- Bus transport also available from the palani bus stand.
- Bus starting time is 4.15 AM
- Last Bus time is 6.30 PM
- Palani to Kodaikanal trip
- By kodai road
- You can reach by call-taxi or bike.
- Bus transport also available from the Madurai or Batlagundu bus stand.
Kodaikanal Lake History
Sir Vere Henry Levinge collector of madurai want to settle in kodaikanal after his retirement.
In the year 1863 the henry levinge created the lake with the help of missionaries from USA. he also buy the boat from tuticorin for boating on this lake.
Kodaikanal Lake Entertainment
You can reach kodaikanal lake by walk from the kodaikanal bus stand. This kodaikanal lake is best tourist place for entertainment.
There are lot of entertainment thing near to this lake such us boating, cycling, horse riding, shopping etc..,
One of the important entertainment near Kodaikanal lake is Cycling. You can see lot of cycling shop near kodaikanal lake.
You can also hire the cycle depend on your wish. There are different type of cycle available such as single cycle, double cycle. Cycle rent is given below.
- Single Cycle – 30 mins – 50 rupees
- Double Cycle – 30 mins – 100 rupees
Kodaikanal lake boating charges
Boating is another important entertainment in kodaikanal lake. You can go boating with your partner or friends.
There are different type of boats available.
- pedal boats
- row boats
- Honey moon boat
You can see the kodaikanal lake boating charges details in below image.
Kodaikanal lake boating charges are
- 2 Seated Pedal Boat – Deposit Collected for Pedal Boats.
- 4 Seated Pedal Boat – 180 Rs / 30 mins, 360 Rs / 1 hour.
- Row Boat 6 Person (Boat Hire + Boatman Charge) – 330 Rs / 20 mins, 660 Rs / 40 mins.
- Shikara ( Honey Moon Boat – 2 Seated) – 495 Rs / 20 mins, 990 Rs / 40 mins.
(Boat Hire + Boatman Charge)
- Free for one child below 5 years
Horse riding is also very famous at Kodaikanal lake. You can go horse riding. Depend on your wish charges may vary.
You can see the horse riding charges below.
Four Plan are available for Horse Riding:
- 1 km Horse Riding (incl – Return) – 100 Rupees
- 3 km Horse Riding (incl – Return) – 300 Rupees
- Photo 1 – 50 Rupees & Video 1 km – 200 Rupees
- 1 hour Horse Riding (Out of place self riding) – 600 Rupees
- Half Charge extra for children.
Kodaikanal Lake Map
Kodai Lake Shopping
For shopping also this places is best. There are lot of shop near to the lake. Where you can buy the statues, ornament, herbal product, cloths, Artifacts, home made chocolates etc..,
Tibetan shops also here where you can buy the handmade artifacts, gifts, warn dress, toy etc..,
Shop Near to the Kodai Lake
|Tibetan Shops – Clothing shop|
Here you can buy the quality woolen cloths, jackets etc at fixed price.
|Jsr naturals oils & spices – Chocolate shop|
Nice places to buy the quality chocolate and spices. This shop is opposite to boat house.
|Fruit Stall – Fruit Shop|
You can buy almost all variety of fruit in this places.
|Kodai cheese – Cheese Shop|
You can buy all variety of cheese here. Cheese are fresh with good quality. The price are little high based on the quality.
|VIJI.s herbals & Natural Oils – Oil Shop|
Best place to buy a natural and healthy oils.
|S.K.S.K Cycle Shop |
Here you can buy a cycle for rent. Cycling around the lake is one of the best activities near the lake.
|Cycle Shops |
Another cycle shops where we can buy a cycle for rent.
|Apollo Pharmacy – Medical shop|
For any emergency you can go and buy the medical items here.
There are many restaurants near to the kodai lake. Some important restaurants are
In this restaurant you can order veg, non-veg and also pizza, ice cream. Nice restaurants.
Best restaurant for homely ethnic food. Nice places to eat a traditional non-veg items.
|Tava Vegetarian Restaurant|
This restaurant is for vegetarian. Maximum all the Indian veg items are served here.
|Muncheez – Italian Restaurant|
In this restaurant you can buy a simple menu of wraps, burgers, sandwiches and fries.
|The Royal Tibet|
Nice places. you can buy a Mouth Watering, Tibetan bread, cheese omelette, fried potatoes, crispy beef etc..,
Address: Coaker’s Walk, Kodaikanal
Phone No: 04542 240 632
This resort is 0.6 Km from the kodai lake.
|Le Poshe by Sparsa|
Address: No 25 Sivanadi Road | Near Kurinji Andavar temple, Kodaikanal
Phone No: 04542 240 514
This resort is 0.7 Km from the kodai lake.
|Hotel Kodai International|
Address: 17/328 Laws Ghat Road | Kodaikanal, Kodaikanal
Phone No: 044 2535 0995
This resort is 0.5 Km from the kodai lake.
|Hotel Apple Valley|
Address: Anna Salai, Kodaikanal
Phone No: 04542 243 100
This resort is 0.2 Km from the kodai lake.
|Hotel Silver Springs|
Address: 5/27 – 1 Laws Ghat Road, Kodaikanal
Phone No: 04542 241 505
This resort is 0.1 Km from the kodai lake.
Visiting Time for kodai lake
- Sunday – 6.00 AM to 5.00 PM
- Monday – 6.00 AM to 5.00 PM
- Tuesday – 6.00 AM to 5.00 PM
- Wednesday – 6.00 AM to 5.00 PM
- Thursday – 6.00 AM to 5.00 PM
- Friday – 6.00 AM to 5.00 PM
- Saturday – 6.00 AM to 5.00 PM
- No entry fee for Kodai lake.
Tourist Places Near Kodai Lake
- Bryant Park
- Coakers Walk
- Pine Forest
- CSI Christ the King Church
- La Saleth Church
- Devils Kitchen
- Upper Lake View
Every tourist who visit kodaikanal much see this beautiful place. Enjoy the beauty of this lake and go with wonderful memory of your life.
You can plan your trip to kodaikanal. You can also contact below travel agent. They have several tour plans.
- Travel Company: Taj Tours and Travels
- Phone No: 9842147494, 04542 242394, 94882 32868
- Name: Vinoth
- Phone No: 8825576725
- During Kodaikanal tour, If you are looking for local guide. You can contact above person. He is experience hills driver and also local guide.
- Who can help you to visit all tourist places.
Thank you for reading this post. If you like this post please share with your friends.